FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NetBeans 7.4 Visual Studio key bindings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ice development Forum Index -> News and Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slip
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:55 pm    Post subject: NetBeans 7.4 Visual Studio key bindings Reply with quote

Skip to the bottom if you're not interested in my short story =)

Having transitioned to GNU/Linux I needed to find a suitable IDE to replace Visual Studio. After testing out a few environments and discussions with friends and co-workers, I have settled on NetBeans (for now). This is not a review on IDEs so I will not go on about what lead me to this decision.

Having used Visual Studio keyboard short cuts for so long, the change threw me into the deep end where simple code navigation was cumbersome. NetBeans allows you to set up custom key mappings so I had two options. Set up or find Visual Studio key mappings or learn NetBeans.

I decided to search for Visual Studio key mappings, after all finding a pre-configured one would be much better than going through every key mapping and assigning it. After all I wanted to get back to work on a project right away and not spend a few hours trying to learn new keyboard short cuts. To my surprise I did not find any. I thought there would be a lot of people transitioning from Visual Studio whom would miss their keyboard short cuts.

I ended up spending a couple of hours going through Visual Studio's keyboard short cuts, one at a time, and mapping them to the same or similar functions in NetBeans. While the bindings aren't perfect (some functionality is different) it is feels natural enough for someone coming from Visual Studio.

Some things to note:

I haven't always found Ctrl+S the easiest short cut for "Save" given the frequency I save what I'm working on. I always found it faster to press Alt then F then S (not Alt+F+S). I developed it as a bit of a reflex when I paused, so Ctrl+S, which requires more movement seems like much more of an interruption.

Because of this and that Alt does not give focus to menus in KDE like it does on Windows, I've also added an alternate mapping for Save "Alt+S".

If there are mistakes or missing mappings feel free to modify and share, or contact me.

You can download with this link http://www.ice-d.com/downloads/NetBeans7.4-VisualStudioKeyMap-20131114.zip
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ice development Forum Index -> News and Announcements All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: